J.M. Institute of Speech and Hearing was established in 1982 with an objective to facilitate various activities in the area of disability management. The preamble of the institute is to facilitate services to prevent, diagnose and treat any kind of impairments or disability caused by the above through various well established state of art specialized departments and highly qualified professionals.
This is comparatively a new area of service, requiring convergence of medical, engineering and psychology. There is a huge gap between demand and supply in this specialized area and non availability of such services has also led to lack of awareness about such problems. Keeping this in view the institute started Human Resource Development Programs by conducting various degrees level, post graduate professional diploma level and diploma level courses from 1995, apart from facilitating services in the field of rehabilitation. Major human resource requirements in area of rehabilitation are of Audiologist, Speech pathologist, Physiotherapist, Occupational therapists and special educators and the institute provides degree and diploma level courses in the above areas. The institute is one of the largest in the country conducting maximum number of courses in the field of rehabilitation.
A composite research and rehabilitation centre to provide total solution to such problem is coming up in a campus of 20 acres near Muzaffarpur which is 60 kms away from Patna airport situated near Turki on Patna-Muzaffarpur national highway. Dr. A.P.J.Kalam, former president of India laid down the foundation stone of this campus on 16th July 2009.
Founder President Mr. Manoj Kumar became Chief Commissioner for persons with disabilities, Govt.of India in 2005.
- Recipient of National Award of Govt. of India in the best institutional category in 2004 from president of India shri A.P.J. Abdul kalam.
- Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam laid the foundation on 20 acres land to establish integrated composite centre for research & rehabilitation of persons with disabilities at Muzaffarpur on 16th July 2009.
- One of the largest Institution in India for Human Resource Development in field of Rehabilitation conducting 12 degree and diploma courses.
- Approx.300 cases with various impairment and disorder are treated and served every day by a dedicated team of 90 Medical and Rehabilitation experts like ENT and Orthopedic surgeon, Audiologist and Speech Pathologist, Physiotherapist and Occupational Therapist, Clinical Psychologist and Special Educators etc.
- Nodal Centre of Rehabilitation Council of India for eastern Zone (from 2000 to 2006) for standardization, regulation and monitoring of courses in rehabilitation.
- State Nodal Agency Centre of National Trust for the Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, mental retardation and Multiple Disabilities, Govt. of India.
- Study Centre of Indira Gandhi National Open University, Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University, Bangalore University, National Institute of Open Schooling.
- Implementing agency of Govt. of India for Special School for hearing & mentally handicapped, Human resource development and ADIP
- Affiliated to BRA Bihar University, Muzaffarpur for conducting degree level courses in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology, Physiotherapy and occupational therapy.